Friday 18 April 2014

My Diary: 4 Nights in Shanghai! | Day 2 - The Deadly Souvenir, Qibao Ancient Town + the Jade Buddha Temple



6:30am
Yes, the school across from me does blast music at all hours…

8:30
I was re-awoken by the cleaning lady, am I right in thinking that 8:30 is too early for that? Despite me saying quite clearly (I think) in Chinese that I didn’t want cleaning as I was getting changed, she came in anyway and proceeded to tidy for a good 15 minutes while I sat there in just my underwear. Xiexie.



Today’s weather is a lot clearer but not suitable for visiting Yuyuan Garden this morning as I planned, for that I’ll hang on for a sunnier day. So I think today I’ll check out some of the ancient shopping streets and antique places that are about and maybe I’ll find the time to visit some of the outer ancient towns!

12pm – The Deadly Souvenir
This morning I decided to start the day with a (what I thought would be) short visit to an antique-y part of town called Dongtai lu. It was going to be simple – just take a look around, try and bargain for something to make for another addition to my shelf of souvenirs from around China; however the morning mutated into something bizarre and rather stressful, but luckily with a happy ending.



I was walking down this rather peculiarly decorated street when a woman beckoned me to her stall. One thing caught my eye immediately. I didn’t know what it was but it was made of wood and looked so intricately carved with dragons and phoenixes. The woman wanted 850 kuai (about £85) but I didn’t want to spend over 100 kuai (I’ve become a pro at haggling – the key is to make yourself a stubborn cheapskate). 
She took it down to around 450 but I still refused and tried to walk away when she suddenly grabbed my arm. It was getting rather scary, but she clearly was desperate for a sale. She wasn’t happy with my offer of 150 kuai but as I began to walk off she grabbed me again and accepted, however she was not pleased.



‘Hurrah!’ I thought as I skipped merrily to the subway station and put my bag on the conveyor belt for security inspection. I picked my bag up on the other end as usual, but this time the woman called me back. She showed me the screen and what appeared to look like a knife, in my bag? I gave her my purchase and she inspected it. Suddenly with a slight tug on one side a blade appeared. WHAT.

Before you think I was stupid for not realising, I must explain more about how this object looked – in NO WAY like a knife. For starters, it was nearly as wide as it was long…

She refused to let me enter the metro. I paced the streets for a while thinking how I can manage to get on a plane back to Guangzhou with it in my possession, eventually realising that the best course of action was to try and take it back to the shop.

After searching the incredibly long and monotonous street stalls I eventually recognised the woman. I explained in basic Chinese what the case was while showing her the blade, but as I expected, she refused to refund (probably rather sour still). She did however let me choose another item from her stall to exchange. Nothing caught my fancy until I saw what looked like a pipe. It had similar carvings to the knife but was carved from bone. It looked incredibly cool, and with a little more haggling and arm grabbing we settled on an additional payment of 50 kuai – 200 in total. I personally think that’s a bargain! At close inspection it looks legit, you can tell it’s hand carved and not plastic or anything.





She told me that it’s very old, apparently late 19th century, but I’m not sure about that. It looks old, it may very well be old, but eitherway I think it looks pretty sweet – and all it took was 2 threats from a sales lady and 1 threat from a security officer…

2pm – Qibao Ancient Town
On the outskirts of Shanghai are a series of traditional water villages, the most famous of which I will visit this weekend. But in closer proximity is Qibao Ancient Town.



It’s a great little area; it reminds me of ‘The Shambles’ and Camden lock as if they were merged together with a dusting of oriental charm. There was a lot of local food stalls, but I daren’t brave them without a guide – if Yinzi was with me she could give me warnings as she knows my taste by now (and she finds it boring, she may be right).











Walking around the area was fantastic as it really made me feel immersed in China. However, after a pretty chaotic morning I could do with a contrast against narrow streets and loud noises – so I’ll head on down to the Jade Buddha Temple!



4pm – The Jade Buddha Temple
I came at just the right time; it’s nearly closing so most of the people have left and I arrived just before a pretty awesome display by the Taoist folk. They began a group chant which I hadn’t yet really experienced fully – despite being in hundreds of temples by this point.


















It was a great chance to just sit for a while with a mellower soundtrack. The sun is close to setting and the sky is clearer now, so maybe it’s time to check out the Bund again to get a clear shot of the city skyline!

5:30pm – A clear view!








Today's conclusion: Travelling by myself in China can be mighty difficult sometimes, but I find a way. 
I have however learnt a valuable lesson - Before you buy anything, always check for concealed weapons.

Zai'jian!

No comments:

Post a Comment