Sunday 24 November 2013

The Temple of the Six Banyan Trees


This week I had to work 6 days...which sucked. So, I decided to cheer myself up, starting with buying a plant! as I have missed having greenery in my room.





I went to a little plant store in a very pleasantly quiet part of the city, and the owner told me this plant is called ‘發財樹’ which means ‘money tree’. I noticed them in all stores around the city with red ribbons on them, which is apparently seen as a sign of fortune!

On sunday we went to the Temple of Six Banyan Trees here in Guangzhou, and thus far it's been my favourite part of the city. The street leading to it was hectic, full of street stores all begging for my money, I felt like the contents of my pockets were the main target here - but as soon as we walked through the entrance to the temple, all the shouting and terrible dance music from the nearby shops instantly fell away, replaced with the sound of birds and falling leaves in the breeze. I finally found a place were my ears could rest.


















































Everywhere had incense burners and people paying worship, which formed such a relaxing atmosphere – so much so that I very nearly fell asleep after sitting for 10 seconds…

We entered a place called the ‘Hall of Mahavira’ where worship was being held in front of 3 large statues of Sakyamuni, Amidabutsu and Maitreya. Aside from a Buddhist Monk playing a Gong, the place was entirely silent.















Yeup, I definitely didn’t want to leave – especially out onto that crazy street again. Chinese culture certainly seems to contain both extremes; it’s never ceases to amaze me how this city suddenly switches from insanity to stillness.










No comments:

Post a Comment